UK Climate Resilience Programme Webinar Series 2021-2022 Date: Wednesday 19 October 2022, 12.00 – 13.00 (GMT) Speaker: Dr Charles Rougé (University of Sheffield); respondent Dr Geoff Darch (Anglian Water Services) Chair: Dr Kate Lonsdale (UKCR)...
19 November 2019, 09.00-13.00, Central London
A Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum policy conference
Delegates will discuss key issues raised in the recently published Committee on Climate Change 2019 Progress Report to Parliament including:
- concerns about the preparedness of key sectors for minimal global warming;
- policies and national plans not taking sufficient account of climate change, in sectors such as agriculture, the natural environment, health, and infrastructure; and
- the challenge for government to provide further resources, strengthened governance and more action on urgent risks.
Keynote speakers include: Tom Handysides, Head of Climate Change Adaptation, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; Kathryn Brown, Head of Adaptation, Committee on Climate Change; Dr Hans-Martin Füssel, European Environment Agency; Dr Tony Grayling, Environment Agency; Alan Law, Natural England; Daniel Johns, Anglian Water Services; Alastair Mant, UK Green Building Council and Nigel Riglar, South Gloucestershire Council.
- The National Progress Report – monitoring progress, identifying vulnerabilities, and policy recommendations;
- Adaptation and environmental protection strategies – natural infrastructure design, boosting resource resilience, and setting guidance;
- Climate change preparedness – environmental governance reform, protecting public goods, and the Green Finance Strategy;
- The energy system – adaptation priorities for efficiency, infrastructure resilience, and the low-carbon transition;
- Boosting climate resilience:
- Local adaptation strategies – and addressing urban vulnerabilities to climate risks;
- Sustainable housing – building standards reform, overcoming investment challenges and enhancing property-level flood resilience;
- Green spaces and biodiversity – strategic planning, green infrastructure, and species and habitat protection;
- Urban water systems – resilience, enhancing surface water drainage capacity and improving flood management;
- Policy priorities – for climate change adaptation and strategies for environmental protection.
Engagement with policy officials at this conference
This Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum conference has attracted particularly strong interest from policymakers. It will be an opportunity for stakeholders to engage with officials who have reserved places representing: BEIS; Cabinet Office; CCC; Defra; DFID; DfT; DIT; DWP; Environment Agency; HMRC; HM Treasury; HSE; Isle of Man Government; Marine Scotland Science; MHCLG; Office of Rail and Road; Ofwat; Prime Minister’s Office and Cabinet Office; The Crown Estate; UK Space Agency and the Welsh Government.
News & Events
Last updated September 2022
Here are the latest news articles and events from the UK Climate Resilience Programme.
Places have opened up for the UK Climate Resilience Programme Showcase, which will now take place on 10-11 October 2022 at the University of Hull. The two-day forum, which was postponed due to the...
UPDATE: In light of the sad news of the death of Her Majesty The Queen, we have had to postpone the UKCR Showcase event, which was due to take place on 12 and 13 September...
The Marine Predictions of Seasonal to Centennial Timescales working group of the National Partnership for Ocean Prediction (NPOP) held a two day in-person workshop at the University of Reading on the 6th-7th June, with UKCR-funded work...