UK Climate Resilience Programme Webinar Series 2021-2022 Date: Wednesday 6 July 2022, 12.00pm (GMT) Speaker: Murray Dale (JBA Consulting); respondent Katy Peat (Defra) Chair: Simon Brown Register for the webinar Abstract This webinar follows a...
19 November 2019, 09.00-13.00, Central London
A Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum policy conference
Delegates will discuss key issues raised in the recently published Committee on Climate Change 2019 Progress Report to Parliament including:
- concerns about the preparedness of key sectors for minimal global warming;
- policies and national plans not taking sufficient account of climate change, in sectors such as agriculture, the natural environment, health, and infrastructure; and
- the challenge for government to provide further resources, strengthened governance and more action on urgent risks.
Keynote speakers include: Tom Handysides, Head of Climate Change Adaptation, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; Kathryn Brown, Head of Adaptation, Committee on Climate Change; Dr Hans-Martin Füssel, European Environment Agency; Dr Tony Grayling, Environment Agency; Alan Law, Natural England; Daniel Johns, Anglian Water Services; Alastair Mant, UK Green Building Council and Nigel Riglar, South Gloucestershire Council.
- The National Progress Report – monitoring progress, identifying vulnerabilities, and policy recommendations;
- Adaptation and environmental protection strategies – natural infrastructure design, boosting resource resilience, and setting guidance;
- Climate change preparedness – environmental governance reform, protecting public goods, and the Green Finance Strategy;
- The energy system – adaptation priorities for efficiency, infrastructure resilience, and the low-carbon transition;
- Boosting climate resilience:
- Local adaptation strategies – and addressing urban vulnerabilities to climate risks;
- Sustainable housing – building standards reform, overcoming investment challenges and enhancing property-level flood resilience;
- Green spaces and biodiversity – strategic planning, green infrastructure, and species and habitat protection;
- Urban water systems – resilience, enhancing surface water drainage capacity and improving flood management;
- Policy priorities – for climate change adaptation and strategies for environmental protection.
Engagement with policy officials at this conference
This Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum conference has attracted particularly strong interest from policymakers. It will be an opportunity for stakeholders to engage with officials who have reserved places representing: BEIS; Cabinet Office; CCC; Defra; DFID; DfT; DIT; DWP; Environment Agency; HMRC; HM Treasury; HSE; Isle of Man Government; Marine Scotland Science; MHCLG; Office of Rail and Road; Ofwat; Prime Minister’s Office and Cabinet Office; The Crown Estate; UK Space Agency and the Welsh Government.
News & Events
Last updated June 2022
Here are the latest news articles and events from the UK Climate Resilience Programme.
UK Climate Resilience Programme Webinar Series 2021-2022 Date: Tuesday 21 June 2022, 12.00pm (GMT) Speaker: Paul O’Hare (Manchester Metropolitan University). Respondent: Sean Morris (Policy & Strategy Lead, Manchester Climate Change Agency) Chair: Suraje Dessai Register...
A UK Climate Resilience Programme lunchtime webinar series in which both researchers and stakeholders participate. The webinars showcase projects conducted for UKRI and by the Met Office for the SPF UK Climate Resilience Programme and...
Suraje Dessai, co-Champion for the UK Climate Resilience Programme, has been designated as a member of the new European Scientific Advisory Board on Climate Change. The appointment, announced today, sees Professor Dessai of the University...