UK Climate Resilience Programme Webinar Series 2022-2023 Date: 17 February 2023, 12pm-1pm (GMT) Speakers: Richard Chandler, Clair Barnes and Chris Brierley (University College London); respondent TBC Chair: Pete Walton (UKCR) Abstract The regional component of...
19 November 2019, 09.00-13.00, Central London
A Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum policy conference
Delegates will discuss key issues raised in the recently published Committee on Climate Change 2019 Progress Report to Parliament including:
- concerns about the preparedness of key sectors for minimal global warming;
- policies and national plans not taking sufficient account of climate change, in sectors such as agriculture, the natural environment, health, and infrastructure; and
- the challenge for government to provide further resources, strengthened governance and more action on urgent risks.
Keynote speakers include: Tom Handysides, Head of Climate Change Adaptation, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; Kathryn Brown, Head of Adaptation, Committee on Climate Change; Dr Hans-Martin Füssel, European Environment Agency; Dr Tony Grayling, Environment Agency; Alan Law, Natural England; Daniel Johns, Anglian Water Services; Alastair Mant, UK Green Building Council and Nigel Riglar, South Gloucestershire Council.
- The National Progress Report – monitoring progress, identifying vulnerabilities, and policy recommendations;
- Adaptation and environmental protection strategies – natural infrastructure design, boosting resource resilience, and setting guidance;
- Climate change preparedness – environmental governance reform, protecting public goods, and the Green Finance Strategy;
- The energy system – adaptation priorities for efficiency, infrastructure resilience, and the low-carbon transition;
- Boosting climate resilience:
- Local adaptation strategies – and addressing urban vulnerabilities to climate risks;
- Sustainable housing – building standards reform, overcoming investment challenges and enhancing property-level flood resilience;
- Green spaces and biodiversity – strategic planning, green infrastructure, and species and habitat protection;
- Urban water systems – resilience, enhancing surface water drainage capacity and improving flood management;
- Policy priorities – for climate change adaptation and strategies for environmental protection.
Engagement with policy officials at this conference
This Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum conference has attracted particularly strong interest from policymakers. It will be an opportunity for stakeholders to engage with officials who have reserved places representing: BEIS; Cabinet Office; CCC; Defra; DFID; DfT; DIT; DWP; Environment Agency; HMRC; HM Treasury; HSE; Isle of Man Government; Marine Scotland Science; MHCLG; Office of Rail and Road; Ofwat; Prime Minister’s Office and Cabinet Office; The Crown Estate; UK Space Agency and the Welsh Government.
News & Events
Last updated January 2023
Here are the latest news articles and events from the UK Climate Resilience Programme.
UK Climate Resilience Programme Webinar Series 2022-2023 Date: 24 February 2023, 12pm-1pm (GMT) Speakers: Nigel Arnell (University of Reading); respondent TBC Chair: Jason Lowe (Met Office) Abstract Abstract to follow Register for this event
UK Climate Resilience Programme Webinar Series 2022-2023 Date: 31 January 2023, 1pm (GMT) Speakers: Charles Rougé (University of Sheffield), with Geoff Darch (Anglian Water Service) as respondent Chair: Kate Lonsdale Abstract This presentation presents the...