Part of Climate Service Pilots work package (Met Office)
A major theme in the UKCR science plan is the evolution of climate services and their delivery.
This Met Office work package focuses on using the climate risk quantification information from elsewhere in the programme to develop and evaluate climate service pilot services.
This particular project aims to understand user needs for specific applications of local decision-making in aspects such as health, infrastructure and water. It will develop early prototyping of services to satisfy these needs.
The work has focused on the co-development of urban climate services for Bristol City Council. A particular area of interest is the heat island effect in the city, with the initial focus being on understanding the present-day hazard as well as the future heat hazard within the city.
Plans include further development of the existing prototypes and adapting them for other cities, and to develop a new flood related prototype through co-development with partners in Northern England. This links with the work on climate modelling and catastrophe modelling approaches described previously (WP2b). There is also scope for cross-work package links to the compound hazard work.
The co-development of urban climate services for UK cities
Outputs from this project, in the form of a series City Packs, were originally delivered for Bristol and have since been produced for 20 cities and regions.
The packs supersede all previous versions of the City Packs, which were first developed for seven UK cities (Bristol, Belfast, Glasgow, Kirklees, Leeds, London City, Exeter) using v2018 Probabilistic Projection data. Interim City Packs provided in April (vApril2022), which were produced using pre-release data, have also been updated and replaced with this new version (vAugust2022).
The following City Packs were published in August 2022:
- Barnsley City Pack, working with Bristol City Council
- Belfast City Pack, working with Belfast City Council and Climate Northern Ireland.
- Bristol City Pack, working with Bristol City Council
- Cardiff City Pack, working with Cardiff University
- Exeter City Pack, working with Exeter City council and Devon County Council
- Glasgow City Pack, working with Glasgow City Council via Climate Ready Clyde
- Hull City Pack, working with Hull University
- Kirklees City Pack, working with Kirklees Climate Commission
- Leeds City Pack, working with Leeds City Council via iCASP
- Liverpool City Pack
- London City Pack, working with City of London Corporation
- Manchester City Pack, working with Manchester Climate Change Agency
- Newcastle City Pack
- Newry City Pack, working with Newry, Mourne and Down District Council
- Reading City Pack, working with Reading Borough Council
- Sheffield City Pack, working with Sheffield City Council
- Torbay City Pack, working with Torbay Council
- Warwick and Southam City Pack, working with Warwick District Council
- West Dunbartonshire City Pack, working with West Dunbartonshire Council
- West Midlands City Pack, working with West Midlands Combined Authority.