Part of the Climate Service Pilots work package, this project aims to understand user needs for specific applications of local decision-making, in aspects such as health, infrastructure and water.
While the work initially focused on the co-development of urban climate services for Bristol City Council, it has now been rolled out to other cities and regions. Plans also include a new flood related prototype through co-development with partners in Northern England.
Heat Packs have been created for the following cities:
- Bristol Heat Pack working with Bristol City Council
- Belfast Heat Pack working with Belfast City Council and Climate Northern Ireland
- Hull Heat Pack
Co-developed with local authorities, these factsheets provide information on how extreme heat events in selected cities may change this century due to climate change. The Heat Packs also communicate the impacts of these events, plus how to build resilience to extreme heat.
A series of City Packs have also been developed, which use the latest UK Climate Projections (UKCP) data to provide high-level, non technical local summaries of a city’s future climate. They use graphics and tables to communicate scientific research in an accessible way, providing robust climate information to help city decision makers plan for the future, enabling cities to become more resilient to climate change.
The first was co-developed with Bristol City Council in 2020. Since then, City Packs have been produced for 20 cities and regions.
The following City Packs were published in August 2022:
- Barnsley City Pack, working with Bristol City Council
- Belfast City Pack, working with Belfast City Council and Climate Northern Ireland.
- Bristol City Pack, working with Bristol City Council
- Cardiff City Pack, working with Cardiff University
- Exeter City Pack, working with Exeter City council and Devon County Council
- Glasgow City Pack, working with Glasgow City Council via Climate Ready Clyde
- Hull City Pack, working with Hull University
- Kirklees City Pack, working with Kirklees Climate Commission
- Leeds City Pack, working with Leeds City Council via iCASP
- Liverpool City Pack
- London City Pack, working with City of London Corporation
- Manchester City Pack, working with Manchester Climate Change Agency
- Newcastle City Pack
- Newry City Pack, working with Newry, Mourne and Down District Council
- Reading City Pack, working with Reading Borough Council
- Sheffield City Pack, working with Sheffield City Council
- Torbay City Pack, working with Torbay Council
- Warwick and Southam City Pack, working with Warwick District Council
- West Dunbartonshire City Pack, working with West Dunbartonshire Council
- West Midlands City Pack, working with West Midlands Combined Authority.
Note: The packs supersede all previous versions of the City Packs, which were first developed for seven UK cities (Bristol, Belfast, Glasgow, Kirklees, Leeds, London City, Exeter) using v2018 Probabilistic Projection data.
Interim City Packs provided in April (vApril2022), which were produced using pre-release data, have also been updated and replaced with this new version (vAugust2022).